By Jessie Petersen
As the product manager for Saucony running shoes, I think about running and running shoes for most of the day. For as long as I can remember, running has been a part of my daily routine. I even qualified for the Olympic Trials in the marathon. Like brushing teeth or drinking coffee, running became part of my everyday life. But, like everyone else, my foolproof routine was thrown out the window two years ago. My motivation to run was at an all-time low. I knew I had to fall back on some basics and start from scratch. Here are some tactics that I rely on to stick to my running routine. Whether you’re just starting or you’re a seasoned marathoner who is looking to kick-start another cycle, I hope there are a few things on this list you can rely on to find an enjoyable running routine.
- Enjoy the process. It’s unrealistic to think every run is going to be perfect. Find the things you love about running and double down. Whether you run as a method of meditation or run for the community, do it in whatever way that brings you joy.
- Build a plan. On low-motivation days, you need something to fall back on. Create a program that supports your “why.” When your motivation is low and your “why” is strong, getting through the not-so-easy days becomes a little bit better. Your plan doesn’t have to be complicated or intense to be effective. You can build your project, hire a coach, or do anything in between.
- Do it for you. You’re doing this for you, so do it for you! Yes, getting likes and kudos is incredible, but if you start to feel stressed about what you’re going to post, it’s time to ditch the comparison game.
- Get the right gear. It’s winter, folks! Nothing can ruin a run quite like the wrong clothes. Make sure you’re dressed for the weather. But more importantly, make sure you’re in the right shoes! Take our shoe finder quiz or head down to your local run shop, and they will make sure you find the perfect Saucony. I have a few different products in my shoe closet.
- For my everyday runs, I always reach for the Triumph 19. The Triumph is an out-of-the-box product that has a plush underfoot experience and feels great when I need to get out the door to log miles.
- For my speed runs, I reach for the Endorphin Speed 2. This shoe is excellent for doing a track workout or getting out to do a tempo. It has enough support to get me through some tough workouts and has the pop that I need to keep me moving fast.
- For races, I always run in the Endorphin Pro 2. This shoe combines our fastest foam (PWRRUN PB) with a carbon plate and is designed to chase a PR.
- Mix it up. Don’t do the same thing every day. Sign up for a fun run, hit the trails, jump into a community run, try a different route. There are plenty of ways to keep running fresh.
- Take care of your body. You need your rest days.
- Just get out there!
Shop Jessie’s bag
There are no comments on this post
Be the first to leave a comment!